Expectations for Governors
- Represent the needs and opinions of the members within their area
- Implement ACC national initiatives on the state level where appropriate
- Actively participate in the Board of Governors, advising the College of the opinions of the membership within their designated state, region or area and informing members of the policies and actions of the College
- Ensure the sustained interest and active participation of the affairs of the College by the membership from the state, region or area
- Identify and encourage development of Chapter members with leadership potential
- Assist with review of problematic applications for ACC membership from their area as requested by ACC staff
- Be the prime contact for members in the state, area or region by answering 1) phone calls, 2) faxes, and 3) e-mails on a timely basis and forwarding pertinent concerns to ACC staff
- Serve as key legislative contact for state and federal lobbying efforts
- Act as liaison with Advocacy staff on Chapter specific grassroots and PAC initiatives
- As members of the leadership supporting the College in its mission, Board of Governor members should consider ACC as his or her priority for financial donations to any annual giving program, capital campaign, PAC fund or other fundraising efforts essential to the work of the College.
- File your disclosures with ACC via the online disclosure tool at www.acc.org/disclosure
- Attend three yearly meetings and accurately represent views from your state or area
March—held in conjunction with the ACC Annual Scientific Session (day prior to opening of meeting)
September—held in conjunction with the ACC Legislative Conference (mid-Sept, Heart House)
January—held in conjunction with the ACC Leadership Forum (Last weekend in January, Heart House) Governors are required to attend all BOG Meetings. Any voting member of the Board who fails to attend two consecutive regular meetings without valid written excuse shall be automatically dropped from the Board of Governors.
- ACC covers travel expenses for the September and January meetings in accordance with the ACC Travel Policy. See members.acc.org/caextranet for exact dates of upcoming meetings.
- Monitor and contribute to the ACC BOG Listserv (email@example.com) for discussions of important issues
- Respond in a timely manner to requests from ACC National staff
- Appoint chapter/state members to state and regional boards as needed; respond to requests from ACC staff for appointments to national service groups
- Ensure that a state representative participates in the ACC Carrier Advisory Committee
- Recommend state members for ACC national service and awards
- Serve on an ACC national committee
- Serve as chair of the Governor Selection Committee to solicit for Governor-elect nominees
- Participate in ACC convocation ceremonies at the ACC Annual Scientific Session
Expectation for Chapters
- Provide a forum for state members to grow and maintain local cardiology contacts
- Provide benefits and services that reflect the needs of chapter members
- Serve as the grassroots of the College by activating the chapter membership around issues that affect the practice of cardiology on a state and federal level
- Provide representation on state medical advisory committees
- Provide an avenue for chapter members to contribute their talents and express their opinions
- Encourage contributions to the ACC-PAC and the ACC Foundation
- Create and attain reasonable and measurable goals to advance the Chapter and its value to members.
Expectation for Chapter Presidents
- Serve as the leader of the Chapter
- Ensure that a group of leaders have been elected to serve on a council (outlined in individual chapter by-laws) and hold regular council meetings (via conference call or in person)
- Work with the council to develop a chapter strategic plan encompassing leadership, advocacy, education and quality of care
- Work effectively with chapter executives by responding to requests in a timely manner, participating in advance planning of activities, monitoring progress of the strategic plan
- Monitor fiscal health of the chapter
- Appoint members of the chapter to chapter committees; work with committee chairs to ensure their committees provide meaningful forums for members to contribute their talents
- Review chapter benefits and services to ensure chapter members are satisfied
- Recommend active chapter members to the ACC President-elect to serve on national committees
- Recommend active chapter members to ACC National for awards recognizing contributions to cv quality patient care
Expectation for Chapter Executives
- Assist Chapter President in setting and accomplishing goals
- Maintain all necessary operational and legal compliance
- Provide ACC national with copies of all requested operational, legal and financial documents
- Provide two-way communication between the Chapter and ACC national
- Monitor and contribute to the ACC Chapter Executives Listserv (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Attend Chapter functions
- Proactively reach out to Chapter leadership with suggestions for programs, activities and member benefits
- Keep Chapter leadership informed of the fiscal health of the Chapter
- Respond to ACC Chapter needs in a timely and professional manner
- Competently perform duties of an association management professional including reviewing personal performance and Chapter effectiveness with leadership and ACC staff
- Meet with ACC leadership and staff as requested
Services Provided by ACC Chapter Staff
ACC's Chapter staff is able to assist chapters in a variety of different ways, offering customized solutions to specific needs when possible. Some of the general duties ACC staff can provide are outlined below. Specific requests should be directed to the following:
Jayne Jordan, Director, Board of Governors &Chapter Affairs email@example.com
Helen Smith, Associate Director, Chapter Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org
Taryn Gold, Senior Specialist, Board of Governors & Chapter Affairs email@example.com
- Serve as a resource on College activities to Governors and Chapter Executives.
- Visit chapters to meet with their Chapter Executive and Governor.
- Facilitate a ½ day strategic planning session with Chapter leadership that focuses on goal setting, creating a plan and strategic priorities.
- Make monthly feedback calls to Chapter Executives.
- Assist with any and all questions pertaining to the College.
- Hold a Chapter Executives Workshop held at ACC Annual Scientific Session. This workshop is fundamental to providing a yearly update for all Chapter Executives on ACC activities and professional developmental opportunities for the Chapter Executives.
- Provide dues collection and wire transfer disbursement on a monthly basis.
- Assist Governor in hiring or replacing Chapter Executive including generating proposals, interviewing and reviewing contracts of employment.
- Provide the Chapter Extranet; an online source for Chapter leaders and staff to get new ideas, download information about ACC and learn what other chapter activities
- Provide a membership database that is direct from the ACC database with real time information. The ACC database is provided to each Chapter so that dues information, label generation, personalized letters and member contact information can be retrieved 24 hours a day seven days a week.
* Governors representing the military branches and other government agencies should follow federal statutes regarding lobbying and any other activities.